Livin' it up in Ben Franklin's town. Riding a bike in the city; damn! watch out for those trolley tracks (slippery when wet!) Whoa, that's what a hoochie mama looks like! I don't think I'm in Delaware anymore.....

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Cycling Philosopy 102

After some more deep cycling thoughts the last 2 days I've realized that cyclists can have some sadism in their blood. Because, knowing that cyclists are masochists, you know that by riding harder, that the other cyclists will ride harder too (because pain's easier to take when others are suffering too, plus everyone has pride) hence, their pain level will go up by account of yourself who just caused them to ride harder. So isn't this along the lines of being a sadist?
Also, I was thinking about the times during a race or a hard ride where numerous people are suffering and there's that one person who gives you a look that expresses that they feel no pain and are in no difficulty. Isn't that too a sign of sadism? They want to prove they feel no pain and knowing everyone is in pain, isn't that a cruel expression?

Any thoughts?

Damn, I'm tired and it's not even 9 pm yet. Fall's definitely coming as it's getting easier to just fall asleep these days.

No Marky Mark sightings by me this week, but the neighbors were all talking about seeing Mark Wahlberg. Someone even stated that when one person said "Marky Mark" he got stone faced and walked away from people. The film crew would film from the early evenings into sunrise. Supposedly they paid the person, whose home they were using, $10k for the 3 days of hassle. Not too shabby. Oh yes, in case you were wondering why they picked this section of South Philly, it's b/c it still looks authentically 1970's. They didn't have to do much other than bring in some classic cars in front of the homes to make it look back in time. Is that a good thing? Now, do you wonder why I'm painting my door?

Worked on the doorframe (prepping it for painting) for 1/2 the day today and ended up talking to at least 1/2 my street throughout the day. Damn, there's definitely some hot hoochie mamas that walk by my house!!! They all got a tatoo in their lower back too, every single one of them (and you know what they say about girl's with tatoos, right?!? I'd take some pictures, but this ain't no pRon website. If you're looking for some pretty pictures though, check out the Distractione column on PezCyclingNews.com.

Ending the day listening to David Gray. He's a talented dude, really chill, good way to end the night.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is true, that cycling hurts. And you're the one who makes it hurt yourself. But, as with most of the good things in life, it has to hurt to be good. LIke love, tattoos, geting a doctorate.....

1) On the hurt subject: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/04/health/nutrition/04bike.html

2) Question. Do you think that cyclists are acutely aware of the pain they inflict upon themselves, and are also aware that they subsequently somehow manage to handle the pain to the point that is makes them feel superior to the everyday Joe? Cycling does cause pain that is above and beyond what the typical inactive American knows, and I would profer that it is causing a high level of meglomania as well as the masochist/sadist thing you already mentioned. It is my humble opinnion that cyclists' egos are only outdone by musicians' egos.

Anonymous said...

That was me, Amy Lynne, who wrote that.

Anonymous said...

http://www.nytimes.com
/2005/10/04/health/nutrition
/04bike.html

it has to be all one line in your brouser.

BC the Doood said...

A-L, I hear you on the hurt factor making cyclists "feel superior to everday joe and (joeannes)"
I catch myself at least once a week talking smack about non-hardcore cyclists. Heck, I even talk smack about hardcore cyclists....It's not good at all as I want more people to ride bikes, and to have an elitist air never helps people come together. I do catch myself doing things and saying things all of the time. It's hard though as to me the simple bike riding skills come naturally, and I forget that some 20 year old could be just hopping on a bike for the first time since they were a kid.