Livin' it up in Ben Franklin's town. Riding a bike in the city; damn! watch out for those trolley tracks (slippery when wet!) Whoa, that's what a hoochie mama looks like! I don't think I'm in Delaware anymore.....

Monday, September 26, 2005

Damn good weather this weekend = many hours in the saddle

Rode the Vino Vello ride back behind the Philly Art Museum both days at 9am. There was at least 40 people both days at the start, but by the end of both rides it would be less than 20.
Saturday was the harder, shorter route. You stay towards the front to avoid the squirrells and also so you can chat without the worry that the person next to you will take you out.
Richie Corderro was out in force both days, he's definitely the Hugh Hefner of bikes. Always in style and always a ladies man. He knows how to work it.
I have no clue about the route we took, all I know it had about 4.5 million stop signs and lights which we never totally stopped at with a group which was always ancy. We had a flat during the ride, and surprisingly everyone stopped, but when you realize it was the only chick (and an uber hottie at that) you realize why. Damn those women have power when they are in spandex. I have to admit, I was the one who changed the flat though. I guess the guys were too busy checking her out to actually help her with the flat. The ride ended with a good pace on West River drive and surprisingly I had some power and so it felt good driving the pace in the high 20's, but was even more surprising as it was me and the chick laying down the pace. It ends up she's a highly competitive rower. Damn those rowers, always making us cyclists look like hobbiests.

Sunday was more of the same, though this time it was supposed to be a "tempo ride", but get a few `people who like to be first up a hill and within a few minutes you have a fast ride and sure enough that happened. Richie Corderro, Dave (also from Guys Racing) and I turned around to help a fine lady and teamate after the pack flew up a mile long ascent. We didn't know where we lost her so each of us turned around and took a side road. I rode along for 2 miles, then turned around, figuring she didn't go this way. I rode into Richie, who said they found her and Dave was riding with her to VF, where we were to meet up. Richie and I TT'd to the VF park, but alas, no Dave and no hot Katie, figures as who would want other dudes riding with you when you are with a hot mama???? Richie ended up taking me on one sweet route of climb after climb as we slowly headed back to Philly. I was put in difficulty many times by my big chainring climbing friend, but as usual, the descents proved my savior and allowed me to stay with Richie on the 2 hour trek back home. We got back to the Art Museum a few minutes after the big pack did and I caught up with a cool dude I had chatted with for a good part of the ride on Saturday. Rob was chatting with his buddy Jake, when I rode up and Jake was a dood that would make fatmarc proud. He was fully decked in wool, riding an uber doped out IF touring bike. He was a hardcore messenger and a cool dude too. We chatted for a good long while, watching the beautiful day and people pass before our eyes and then I rode back knowing I had kicked it hard for 2 days with dudes half my cat., but not double my strength. Damn, I can't wait for next years road season already. MV, you up for any road? I want to do a BC friend's TT at some races. That solo stuff is fun, but why not have a few friends along for the ride??

Oh yes, I have to admit that the rower hottie, Thea, was there for a second day of pummeling. She is sick, another person in the Katie Compton mold. Pure hardcore diesel, it's like she doesn't know the small ring exists. Supposedly she's riding for Guys next year. Lets keep those fingers crossed as hopefully I can convince her to race some of the men's categories as she's stronger than any Cat 4 I know of.

Big bummer for the Guys Cross race coming up in 2 weeks. It looks like they are lacking a mic for BC and his homie Joe Lanzario. If anyone wants to donate a PA and possibly and generator so BC can hype you up, please drop me a line, as of right now, the air will be silent.

Ride on!

No comments: