Livin' it up in Ben Franklin's town. Riding a bike in the city; damn! watch out for those trolley tracks (slippery when wet!) Whoa, that's what a hoochie mama looks like! I don't think I'm in Delaware anymore.....

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

AssFault 2, BC 0

I have no clue how to spell that black stuff which they make roads out of, all I know is that I've kissed it twice in a month on my right side so far. This past Saturday I was coming back from another totally rocking marathon of a ride to Valley Forge, when in Manyunk/Roxborough I decide to take a turn at a wicked fast speed.

See I've been dying to take this turn at speed since I rode it last Summer, but there's Always either a red light or cars on the intersection when I come up to it. So on Saturday the light turns green and within a few seconds there's not a car coming or going. I decide to stomp the pedals hard and because I'm going to take the turn at speed, I take it wide and go into the other lane. Since I had never ridden in the on-coming traffic lane on this road I never realized the ASSfault was all rumply. Anyways, right at the apex of the turn my ass was in the air as the rumple popped my rear wheel out from under me and I skipped across the road. Luckily for me: 1) no cars were coming 2) bike wasn't damaged 3) no other cyclist saw it happen 4) the scars on my right elbow ripped off, so now I have been given a second chance to grow back that pretty skin I once had
I've also learned another lesson. Philly's roads are rough and tough and don't like me too much.
Really though, I've found that I really cannot let all my senses drop like I could when I was out riding in the hills around rt273 by Marky-Marc in MD, or by Ted Logik around rte896 in Landenberg.
Philly's the real deal.
From the pot-holed roads, to all the stop signs and lights every 500 feet, to the hoochie mamas honking behind you b/c somehow you're blocking them from moving up at the red light.
I can stand it, but I don't know how long I'll thrive here as it is a little too dense to really have a good peaceful bike ride like I once had in Delaware....

MV, don't stress about losing your series 7, yeah you worked your az off for it, but you definitely made the right move, these days I wonder if I did...

Good news on the training front today! I know everyone else passed this threshold weeks ago, but I just had my first evening ride during the week since last year! It felt as good as can be to get out after work today. Yes it was for just 45 minutes, but riding around the 1 mile FDR park was the bomb. Didn't see a single other cyclist, but damn the skaters were out in force.

Hey there's some road racing up in Philly 10 days from now. Check BikeReg.com for info. I believe the races are put on by the UPenn/Drexel Cycling teams.

Turn 29 tomorrow, not only that, it's one year then since I started my job in Philly.
Bittersweet.

1 comment:

Your Friendly Neighborhood HR Dude said...

dude, I never sweat losing the 7, it wasn't me. June 7th it's gone daddy gone. Hang in there buddy, you love the stuff... Congrats on the year, and keep your can of the ground huh?

respect
fm