Livin' it up in Ben Franklin's town. Riding a bike in the city; damn! watch out for those trolley tracks (slippery when wet!) Whoa, that's what a hoochie mama looks like! I don't think I'm in Delaware anymore.....

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Collegiate Road Races in Philly this weekend

Dude, did anyone see this? I haven't seen a blip on any of the listserves....http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/mar07/mar07news
It's the last article on the days list. It's talking about the Collegiate Road Races in Philly this weekend.

Wow, had a busy few days the past week or so. Rocked out this past Friday forr my B-day by going on a dual night out with a buddy and also going on a blind date. It was really quite an experience and a fun time at that.

Met up with my buddy and neighbor Nick and then we headed up to Northern Libs (my first time EVER there) to meet up with this mysterious lady. We got to the bar, "North 3rd" and grabbed a drink and settled down for a bit. The ladies were out in effect and were just like Nick said. Cool, friendly, artsy and professional was the scene, plus it was just table after table of them just chilling waiting for skinny bike studs to talk to. North 3rd had many a fine beer on tap (Nick would say that as I don't drink beer, sorry! Read http://bikesandbeer.blogspot.com/ for your beer satisfaction). I had my typically Jim (beam) and Ginger, which this place seemed to know how to make and also to make cheaply. Just an FYI. A Jim and Ginger will cost you 16 mothaphunk'n dollars at the Continental, but 4 fitty in North Libs. That's a mighty good deal if you ask me. Plus the bartender (Oh yes she was so nice and tender!) doesn't have that Center City attitude of being almost too cool to serve you a drink. The food looked crazy good too. If I was secret food spy "FM" I would have been there to capture a pic for you all, but alas, I'm still learning how to use the camera.

So after getting that first drink, I texted the surprise-lady to let her know I was at the bar she recommended. And of course, some uber hottie a few people away pics up her cell and starts reading a text, so I was like "dude, Nick, there's the chick." and went up to her and was like, hey, I'm BC" She was like, ahhh, ok... I was like, didn't I just text you? She was like, "NO, WTF are you talking about?" I was like OK and started walking away and she was like, hey I'm so and so, and started talking to me. It was the funniest thing as my buddy Nick was at the bar and totally thought this was the chic I was meeting up as she had tons of hot friends with her, but alas, it was not to be.

We eventually caught up with the surprise-lady, had a few drinks with her and her friends and then rolled to McGillans in CC, where the crowd was rowdy from some kick ass karaoking. The ladies in McG's were insanely hot. Everytime I'm there I never expect it, as the pub's one of the oldest in the city and I just always expect an older crowd, as it's far away from all the hip places on Walnut St. I immediately signed up to do one of my fav. 80's songs, wishing my boy CV from DE was able to rock out with me, I don't know of anyone more fun than Mr. Vann when it comes to Karaoke. He knows pretty much every commonly known song word for word. McGillans was a damn good time, though I was kicking myself for inviting the mystery lady out with Nick and I, as we would have had an insane time with all the fine single ladies there and this lady was sticking to me like butter on toast (as Biggie smalls would've said). We rocked out until about 1, when the m-l decided to roll and then Nick and I rolled out to find something to grub. Unfortunately, indecision was the killer and by the time we decided where to go, it was closing down and we called it a night.

Luckily, for the first time since I've been in Philly, I realized the importance of drinking water with a good drink or two. So I was up and at it early on Sat. to get an early train down to DE so I could go for a sweet road ride before my grandfather's 91st b-day party. That was a blast to see him as just a month ago he was on oxygen and now he's doing better and off of it, and back to his same ol' cool self. I ended up having a wicked fun day of riding and catching up with family in DE.

Sunday was a BC (getting) smack(ed) down ride on the road with my Sunday MTB. posse. I totally got my ass handed to me every time the riding got tough. Colin and Christian (my muslim brotha) would always let me feel like a rockstar, pushing it at the start of a climb, only to do the smackdown 1/2 way up and leave me waaaay behind them. I kept the head up, but that's all. Good strong weekend of riding, it felt great to push myself with a group on the road again. I'm bummed I won't be able to be smacked this coming weekend, but happily one of my bestest of friends from college is having his Bachelor party in Baltimore. Let's hope for no snow tonight!

Ride on playas.

-BC

No comments: