Livin' it up in Ben Franklin's town. Riding a bike in the city; damn! watch out for those trolley tracks (slippery when wet!) Whoa, that's what a hoochie mama looks like! I don't think I'm in Delaware anymore.....

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Big Evil Green things invade South Philly

Took off work yesterday, as when the highs are in the low 80's and humidity at real "JoeyThomspon" levels, then you know you have to skip work and ride your bike for most of the day. So that's what I did and I headed out for some tasty hills out west in Valley Forge park. Nothing beats that park. George Washington breathed the same air and probably drank the same water I do everytime I head out there. Also some of the climbs and descents are on one way roads, so you can just cruise up and down with reckless abandon. I was lucky enough to have another friend (DC Anne) who also wasn't working this day and so I picked her up in the town of hills (Manyunk) and then we rolled. Totally rocking ride, ended up getting 5 hours of saddle time, and DC Anne was kind enough to let me tackle a few hills solo so I could tire myself out and so she could hurt me on a few hills later on in the ride.

Later on in the day I headed just down the street to the new IKEA as I need to get a new bling-bling stove for my hopefully soon to be, uber bling Kitchen. All I can say for you single college kids out there is don't head to the bar, head to IKEA!!! It was like an soooper-doooper Abercrombie-Fitch/Maxim photo shoot at that place. Lotsa hotties everywhere, I was actually surprised I didn't see any beds being used with all sextension in the air. Heck, I turned a 30 minute trip into and hour and a half as it was just too fun to watch the action going down. Damn, and it was a Wednesday afternoon, I bet Friday nights get hot and heavy there.

We'll I head back to my place and can't find a spot on my street and I end up parking 2 blocks over and as soon as I get out 2 older dudes are like, Yo, "you live around here, I've seen your car all over." I was like yep, bought a place a few months ago. They asked my name, I told them, they were like, dude, we've heard of you. I was like, great, nothing like the neighbors hearing about you before they even meet you, never a good sign unless it's some hot mama looking for a cyclist to rub shaved legs together with you. Luckily these guys didn't know about the shaved legs, or the fact that I'm the guy who "painted the door all crazy" as most of my neighbors have said to my face. They were cool as could be and gave me the heads up on who's cool, who's hit the rock a time too many, and how South Philly is, coming from being born and raised here. It was actually a damn good talk with these guys, they were as cool as could be and really funny down to earth people. I've been finding that although south phillians look rough, they are actually easy people to strike up a conversation.

We'll I head back to my place and check the plants, as when it's this dry, they need that love and attention, so I'm giving them a nice good drink and what do I see, but a BIG Evil Green thing mowing a tomatoe plant down. This plant had ALL of it's leaves about 3 hours before and magically this BIG EVIL GREEN thing made the leaves dissappear. At first I was in awe of it, I didn't even care about the leaves being gone, then I realized all the time and effort I had put into this plant, for it to only have grown one beautiful Roma tomatoe so far, so I got pissed at it (after taking it's picture of course) and put it in a jar so hopefully a bird would see it, since it wouldn't be camoflaged in the tomatoe branches anymore. Well, I came home today and noticed some more tomatoe plant was missing and sure enough there was second BIG EVIL Green thing mowing the plant down, so this time I decided to throw these guys, like the drunks in movies, into the dark alley next to my house, and heaven knows if they will live to see daylight tomorrow.

Today was another fine day, but way too beat for any bike rides. Can't wait for this weekend as the we are now definitely in the last hurrahs of summer.

Ride on!

No comments: