Livin' it up in Ben Franklin's town. Riding a bike in the city; damn! watch out for those trolley tracks (slippery when wet!) Whoa, that's what a hoochie mama looks like! I don't think I'm in Delaware anymore.....

Monday, August 22, 2005

a Beautiful night in the City

Ahhh, tonight is one of those nights which makes the city tantalizing to urban cowboys everywhere. Clear skys, a cool breeze with fresh air, and the big city lights sparkling in the skyline. You can even seen a star or two in the sky. This is just the perfect weather for skipping a day from work and riding this week!

OH snap!!! This weekend, I not only had a Kenny and Cass sighting, I actually rode with them!!! You would think that Cat 3 Kenny and Cat 1 Cass would have depreciated to at least a Cat 4 and to a Cat 2 status, especially since they have been working non-stop on their house since last November (they are doing a total gut and rebuild) and they have just been riding their trainers once a while. But my oh my are they staying strong. We did a 3 hour ride out to Valley Forge park and Kenny made sure the pace never became easy. He even dropped Cass and I on a few hills, though Cass was feeling the leg-pain from her previous day's leg workout at the gym, so I was really the one struggling. I think Chopko must have given them the secret squirrel training manual he used so well back in the DE days.

Since I had felt so crummy on the ride with Ken and Cass, I decided I needed more pain on Sunday to remind me what it feels like when you slack off and drink one two many margaritas for training. Off again, but this time the real heat was out in force, especially since I didn't get out the door until 9. It was great, I love the heat once you get out of the city, but riding through it and stopping every other minute b/c of a redlight will have you seeing heat stars before you know it.
It was a small ring warm up for about an hour as I was feeling the KaCa smack down the day before, but as soon as I hit the first hill outside of Conshocken, the legs woke up and it felt great. I don't know what's up with my body, but I will hurt all day on flat ground, but make my non-climber self start to climb and I don't really feel much pain...Weird stuff...Anyways, another great ride, though a lot slower. Tonight I took it nice and easy, and I can tell my legs are already getting stronger, though we will see at tomorrow's TUESDAY WORLD Championships (AKA the Drives).

Ah, this weekend I also had the pleasure to see a playoff game of the Philadelphia Area Disc Association (www.pada.org) (Disc=Frisbee) I have 3 cousins who play on a team and they had 2 back to back games in Fairmont. So I had nothing going on Saturday afternoon and so I packed a cooler of Woodchucks and made myself a sweet Margarita on the rocks and then drove up there. I totally wanted to ride the bike, but last time I went to a game, I was lucky enough to give a hot mama a ride back to South Philly. Anyways, don't worry, no drinking and driving, though as soon as I parked the car, I tried that margarita and it was fan tast ic. I had poured 50% tequila into a mixture of Ice, 1 whole squeeze lemon (I didn't have any limes) and a wee bit of Margarita mix into an insulated mug) It had about 20 minutes before I drank it and I have to admit it was the best damn Margarita I ever had. Anyways, the game was wicked fun to watch, and you know people take the sport seriously when for hydration they have PBR and Yuenleng instead of Gatorade.
The true highlight of the evening was showing up at the PADA's club house, which is reminiscent of an old Fraternity house which has seen a tad bit of partying through many generations. The place is tucked in to Fairmont park and after every set of Ultimate Friz games, they all head back there and totally rock out. It was such a blast as eveyrone is uber chill and everyone shares their grub, girlfriends and their cooler fare (just joking about the girlfriends!!!). So chill that once again I totally hooked up a South Philly dude and his girl with a ride back to their place as the night wound down. They were going to ride the 8 miles back while totally ripped up at 10 pm. Crazy, especially since the dude's brakes didn't work.

Also this weekend, I finally saw the movie "Boiler Room" it was dope, watched it on mi padre's new flat screen and surround sound set up. Now I gotta watch the old classic "WallStreet" with Michael Douglass and Charlie Sheen.

The Jason Gundel-Wilmington Crit is coming up in 2 weeks, will be great to cheer on my DE peeps again. I totally miss being smacked around on the Tour de Chester, pain never felt so good.

Totally love the Fatmarc (fatmarc.blogspot.com) pics from SSWC (Single Speed World Championships) this weekend. I wish I was only that cool. I don't have a cool hairy chest like Forrest. I don't have a cool biker tan like Adam Craig, I don't have cool chops like T.Brown, I don't have cool coconut breast covers, heck I don't even have a full fleshtone jumpsuit.

Oh snap, I do have a cool door though...

No comments: